Friday, January 16, 2015

Sample Letter

Friday, February 14, 2014

Mr. Ansel Adams
F4.8 Club
111 Photography Rd
Phoenix, AZ 12345

 

Dear Mr. Ansel Adams,

 
My name is Aaron Lawler and I am a student at Plainfield Central High School. I have been interested in photography for the past three years and feel I am a very creative person.


I am an artistic person with a good eye and an out-of-the box thinker, who is adventurous and devoted to becoming a great photographer. My goal is to be a professional photographer in order to demonstrate my dedication, passion for photography, self-sufficient drive, independent thinking and ability to communicate.  I have a positive attitude and use my art to make others happy. I am also very responsible and have a lot of maturity for my age.


Among these qualities, one of my strongest is using Adobe Photoshop. I have a year experience using this program and I am very comfortable using technology. I also have a Nikon D60 and am currently learning how to use its advanced settings.
As a student I would like to learn more about the career of photography and learn how to take stronger pictures, become a better communicator and develop my people skills.
In order to learn more about the careers in photography, my Digital Photography and Imaging class is doing a research project on professionals in the field. I would like to train to be a fashion photographer, and someday work with models. In my project, I am looking up this career and getting the information needed in order to enter this field.

[Explain why you chose to contact this person – what was it that made them special]
In order to complete my project, I have decided to contact you, Mr/Mrs/Ms so-and-so. While searching professionals, I found your website/blog/online portfolio and I was thoroughly impressed by your work. I especially enjoyed your photo of a butterfly. It demonstrated great use of color, lighting and contrast.

[Explain what you do – what you plan to do]
I also enjoy using vibrant colors and high contrast in my own images. And I hope that if I get a chance to communicate with you, I will be able to improve my images. I really try to capture emotion in my work. You do such a fantastic of job this in your wedding photos. I hope you can show me ways to improve my work and become more professional.

[Questions – asking them for help]
Because I have been so impressed by your work, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. Why did you choose to become a professional photographer? Do you enjoy your work? What makes your work unique or different? What makes you successful?

[Ask for advice on how to become a professional]
So now that you know a little about me and my school project, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. If you were me, what would you do to get into the field? Where is a good place to start? Where did you start out? Do you recommend following a similar path?

[Thank your professional]
Thank you so much for taking the time for reading this letter. I really appreciate any help you can offer me. I look forward to speaking with you and getting your response. It really means a lot that a professional, such as yourself, would help out an up-and-coming artist.

[Closing – you are going to include your contact information]
You can contact me at: YOUR EMAIL . If you would prefer to send me a written response you can send that to the school at: Plainfield Central High School, 24120 W Fort Beggs Drive, Plainfield IL 60544.

Sincerely,

Aaron J. Lawler
Photography Student

No comments:

Post a Comment